3 Expensive House Repairs To Know And Avoid
“Homeowners across the United States are completing more home projects and spending more money on home improvement and repairs. Overall, homeowners report spending an average of $5,157 on home projects within the last 12 months — representing an increase of $1,869 over the previous 12 months. Moreover, nearly two-thirds of homeowners say they’ll spend as much or more in the coming year,” this is according to Brad Hunter – Chief Economist at HomeAdvisor.
This report shows how expensive home improvements and repairs can get. Some invest in these improvements for additional comfort, for better living conditions, in order to leverage the easy access to capital this year, while others are left with no choice but to spend their savings on repairs that arise from nowhere.
How To Prevent Unexpected and Expensive Property Repairs
Property damage is a result of either unforeseen events or old age (especially for houses built 30+ years ago). There are ways to effectively care for your home and keep it in good condition for as long as possible.
In communities where the soil swells during heavy downpours and contract during long periods of drought, the foundation may be at risk of damage. The change in the soil texture strains the foundation and damage overs time. Foundational issues are one of the most expensive home improvement jobs across the country, so prevention can help families save a lot of money. Here are some preventive measures you can try:
- Spread soaker hoses around the property perimeter to keep the soil moist during long periods of drought.
- Keep the soil around the house at a slope angle so rainwater will drain away from your property.
- Consider rainscaping the landscape to move water away from your home during heavy rains.
There is no doubt that the roof is a vital part of a house, so it is important that it remains free from holes, loose hinges, damaged frames, and other issues. Partial repairs can have an average cost of $600 while a roof replacement can cost a several thousand dollars. That’s an extra expense most can’t easily withdraw from their savings. Here are a few preventive measures:
- Hire professionals to inspect the roof periodically.
- Check your roof from time to time to identify weak spots or minor repairs you can address.
While water keeps our body healthy, it is less than beneficial to the floorboards, the walls, ceilings, and the metal and steel components in the house’s framework. In the event of leakages (especially hidden ones), water can cause the wood to rot, grow molds, and turn the metalwork to rust, which is a complete disaster for any property. Heavy damage brought about by leakages could snowball to thousands of dollars. It pays to know how to prevent this disaster from happening:
- Routinely clean gutters
- If moisture from a leak is detected, hire a professional immediately
- If you have a basement, test your sump pump at least once a year
- Make sure all fixtures, sinks, and faucets are secure and tight
- Make sure you are ready for the winter season and know how to care for your water pipes
Here are other issues that can lead an expensive repair job:
- Termite infestations
- Fixing or installing new pipes
- Heating and AC repairs
- Mold detection and removal
- Electrical issues
- Septic system failure
There are countless ways a simple issue can lead to an expensive service job, which sometimes leads to financial hardships resulting in the quick sale of a house. Some would look for ways to sell house fast or turn to a we buy houses company for a faster and hassle-free selling process.
Quick Real Estate Solution is a home buying company that offers speedy solutions for homeowners in need of a fast and secure sale. If you are in the process of selling your house or know someone who needs a fast deal, call us!